Welcome to the Lea County Museum
The county seat of Lea, Lovington became a town in 1908 when settlers from east of the Texas line homesteaded the western edges of the Llano Estacado in New Mexico Territory.
New Mexico became a state in 1912. Lea became a county in 1917.
The Lea County Museum was created by the Lovington Women's Club in 1969 when the club purchased the Commercial Hotel, which was about to be razed.
The Lea County Museum is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization operated by a volunteer board of directors.